July 10, 2009

Rainbow birthday Party part 1


Zoe has already decided that for her 8th birthday she wants a Rainbow birthday party.

Now her birthday isn't until mid October but I love it when they decide so early because it gives me plenty of time to plan.

I love planning birthday parties. I could spend hours and hours planning. I am going to show you what I got planned so far.

I usually start with the cake (or in this case cupcakes). Here are the ones that Zoe picked out
(I got this idea and picture from here. This is a great place to find ideas for your next party)

I could not figure out what kind of candy was used and it was not listed anywhere. I had looked up and down the candy isle at my local grocery store but I could not find anything that look like that.

Several days later at the store again as I was checking out when Zoe started screaming "I found it, I found it". As I looked to see what she was going on about she handed me this.
It was ridiculous how excited we both were. I know the cashier thought we were nuts.

So with the cake done I started surfing the web to see what ideas are out there. Big or small I gather them all in. At this stage I don't pre-judge. I don't worry about if we have enough space for this game or how hard will it be to find supplies for that craft. I just gather.

So in my gathering I came across this


they are finger paints from The Idea Room. I just fell in love with those bright colors. She gives instructions on how to make these. With the rainbow of colors I thought it would be good to incorporate these into the party somehow. But how?



Then I saw these at my local Dollar Tree and I knew what I was going to do. I would make a set of finger paints to send home in the goody bag.


Ooh they so pretty.

Now here I will mention that in most rainbow activities you find there are only 6 colors. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple but since Zoe's favorite color is pink I decided to add that one in.

So on to my hunt.

Next I found this

at My Party File (there are a lot more great party ideas here as well) and I knew that I wanted to do this


I found these plastic cups at the Dollar Tree (I really do love that place). They will be perfect to display all those colors of jello.

While I was at the Dollar Tree I also found these in the wedding section

and with a little (and I do mean a little) food coloring I made these


To make these I kept dipping the ends of toothpicks into the coloring and stirring it in until I got the colors I wanted. A whole drop was to much, except for the red. For the red I actually added three drops. Unless you are going to devote the whole pack of food coloring to crafting I would suggest that you use a clean toothpick each time you want to add color otherwise don't use it for food.

Next I found this site Moonlight Creations Jewelry and saw this

They sell them for $4 which I think is a good price for the materials and the trouble you go through to make them (you have to scroll down a little bit to see it).

The only problem I have with these is that I am adding in the color pink to our rainbow party and there is no way that I can add pink to this. So I set out to see what I could do.

I just happen to have one of these on hand

I used the 4 1/2" plastic canvas circles



I then cut it in half. This is kind of hard to explain but when I cut it I did so down the center of the plastic line. If you cut on the out side of the line you are left with little nubs and the other half of the circle could not be used.

Here I will try to show you.


I am trying to split the plastic line in-between the holes.

see no nubs

here it what it looks like if you cut on the outside of the line. See the nubs.

Back to your regular scheduled program.


So after I cut the circle in half I used these ribbons to thread into to half circle. These ribbons are 1/8" wide.


After I threaded all the ribbons I cut out the inside of the circle to form the rainbow.



Instead of adding beads to the end of the ribbons I add little bells to make it a wind chime.


Here it is finished although I think I might shorten the ribbons up a little. This project is a little harder than it looks. I had originally planned for this to be a craft for the kids to do at the party but after making one it would definitely be better for an adult or an older child to make these ahead and put it in the goody bag.

Since this post has gotten kind of long I will split it up into several posts

Part 2

7 comments:

  1. It sure is good you get 3 months notice to prepare your party with all the things you do.Looks like it's going to be some party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed some traffic coming to my site from yours, thanks for the link to the paints. Have you seen the rainbow cake I made for my daughter's birthday? I did a rainbow layer cake. Here is a link: http://theidearoom.blogspot.com/2009/07/rainbow-cake.html
    I love all the different ideas you found. Sounds like a great party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. When I was a kid, I had a barette with that exact plastic rainbow with ribbons, only mine had coloured heart beads on the ends! What a blast from the past :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished my daughter's rainbow birthday party and I only wish I'd found this sooner...I totally would have copied your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much! We are doing a "rainbow polka dot" party for my 9 year old. The finger paint and bubble ideas are amazing! We can't wait to use these! Again, tahnk you for sharing such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing these ideas. I am planning a rainbow party party for my daughter and your posts are a great inspiration
    I have just feature your wind chime on my blog, with a link to your tutorial
    Thank you !
    http://thatcutelittlecake.blogspot.com/2011/01/rainbow-crafts-and-decorations.html

    ReplyDelete