June 18, 2009

Kid's lantern

My kids are always bugging me to buy these cute little rollie pollie kid's lantern when ever they see them at Wal-mart. But with a high price tag for something that probably wont last I can't get up the gumption to do it.

So when I saw this



over at Made By Cynthia Rae I knew I had to make it. She made a great tutorial so I am not going to repeat it but I will show you what I did different.

For the handle she used what looks like a plastic coated wire. Well, I didn't have that on hand so this is what I used

picture hanging wire and air tubing that you use in fish tanks.

I had bought that awhile ago to use in a different project so I had it laying around.

I cut the tube to the length that I wanted the handle to be and then I threaded one end of the wire into a hole on one side of the lid and tied it off.



Then I slid the tubing on to the wire and then threaded the other end of the wire into the other hole and tied it off and cut the excess wire off.



Then I finished gluing everything together and viola

(I really need to find a better place to take my pictures)

A lantern that my kids can use and even destroy and it hasn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Here it is lit up in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment