September 8, 2009

Blog Hop Tuesday: Remembering 9/11

2001 was not a good year of my life. It started out with my small family (me, my husband, and Mia who was 2) having to move back in with my parents. Also living with my parents at the time where my little brother, little sister, my grandma and my uncle. My parents' house has only 4 bedrooms so me, my husband and Mia had to share a room. It was a very cramped house.

Shortly after we moved in I found out I was pregnant (the only good thing that came out of that year). A few months later, in April, my husband was in a terrible 4-wheeler accident. It nearly killed him. He was out of work for over 4 months (turns out it was a blessing that we had to move in with my parents).

In September, just a month away from the baby being born, my husband was finally able to return to work. I was put on semi bed rest so I was still in bed when he called me that morning. I turned on the TV and was watching what had happened. I was horrified by what I saw but I didn't fully understand at the time how it would affect our lives. Later as the days went by and the full story hit home I felt grateful to have my whole family under one roof. My problems of the past year seemed insignificant. We were together, we had each other, that was all that mattered. I remember feeling so small and helpless as massive efforts were made to help those in need while I was stuck in bed watching it all. I finally had to stop watching TV because that was all that was on and every time I saw anything about it I cried. My heart went out to those looking for their loved ones because a few months earlier I came close to knowing what it feels like to lose a loved one. As the country was pulling itself back together the sense of pride was contagious. That was the first time in my life (I was 22 at the time) that I understood what the American spirit was all about. I saw how humanity could stop thinking about itself and reach out to help others. It is tragic that 9/11 ever happened but how we came together afterwards is what makes me proud to be an American and I will never forget.

The Blog Hop is a great way to get new visitors to your blog! Tell your friends...

Click here to enter your link in this Blog Hop



Sponsor the next blog hop and have hundreds of blog owners see your link or ad‚ more information here.

Most recent winners: Fairy Blog Mother All winners
New to the Blog Hop? Find out how to join the fun here...

16 comments:

  1. Great post. Thank you for sharing this touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly your post is great! So moving! Thanks for sharing something of your life with us.xxx
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true about the American spirit - amazing how we can be so divided but come together like crazy when ganged up on. What a moving story - thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and thank you for sharring.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. "How we came together afterwards is what makes me proud to be an American and I will never forget." I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kelly.. That is a very moving story. You certainly went through a lot at a young age. I had forgotten how the country pulled together at that time, it was wonderful. Great post, thanks for stopping by at my blog also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!!! That definitely would be hard...to try and calm yourself from stress (being that pregnant) but yet trying to deal with all that was taking place around you! I can't believe 9/11 is almost upon us....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny how all the problems in your life, no matter how big or small, pale in comparison to something this magnitude.
    Some things are just bigger then all of us and this was definitely one of those things.
    Thanks for sharing your memories.

    Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for stopping by my blog. God bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog. That was a griping day, wasn't it? It reshaped all of our lives, especially those who were directly impacted. I can also remember so much about the stunned feeling and the sorrow and grief. It was good to reflect on that day. I have not thought aoubt it in a long time.

    I am hosting an online Bible study for MOMS on the book of Ephesians. If you are interested, or know of anyone who might be, please click on my blog and read the details. We would love to have you join in the discussion! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thank you for sharing your story!! It was very touching and made me realize again how much I appreciate the things I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a lovely heartfelt post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally hear ya. Having family close and safe makes you so grateful and appreciative of the gifts you have when something like that happens. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kelly, thanks for sharing and for checking out MY blog! I loved your story and for reminding us that something good did come out of tragedy. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this with us...
    I know that I could not pull myself away from the TV for the longest time...
    That was such a sad time...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your memory. I know I will never forget!

    ReplyDelete