January 8, 2010

My 2010 Word of the Year

I love words. Words can inspire me. Words can hurt me. Words can move me. Words can up lift me. So if you don't know I love words.

For those of you familiar to my blog you know that on Mondays I post my "Quotes to Remember...". To me they are words that makes me stop and ponder about the important things in life.

When I found out that Tip Junkie was doing a challenge to come up with a word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2010 I was all over it. That is until I had to actually pick a word.

How does someone who loves words just pick one? So I went on my quest to find my word. I started thinking about the goals I want to accomplish.  I asked my hubby what words he liked (I won't repeat here the suggestions he gave me. He can never be serious lol.) I asked my parents, they said things like prosperity and enjoyment. Those are all good and all things I want but they are not my word.

What is my word? The truth is I am still undecided. I thought that if I started typing this out that it might come to me.

So, what are some of my favorite words? This past Christmas it was Believe. We made ornaments that hung between our stockings that spelled it out. I talked to my kids about the word believe and the different things that it could mean. I felt that the word Believe summed up the Christmas season.

But I am supposed to find a word that sums up what I want for my self in 2010. Believe is a great word, but it is not my word.

Another word that comes to mind is Success. Isn't that what we all want. Success as a person. Success as a wife. Success as a mother. Success in my business. Success is what I want but no it is not my word.

How about Gratitude. I believe (there is that word again) that you have to be grateful for what you have to be able to get what you want. Gratitude is essential for true success. But I don't think gratitude is my word.

Peace. Now there is something that I need and want in my life. With 4 kids running around that is something that I have very little of. I just don't think that sums up everything I want. So no peace is not my word.

Happiness. Lately I have been reading a book called Happy for no Reason by Marci Shimoff. True happiness is not contingent on what you have or don't have. True happiness is just that, being happy for no reason. Sometimes in life I find myself having to deal with people that are just not happy about anything. They usually spend all their time complaining about one thing or another. They find excuses to why they don't succeed and reasons why they shouldn't even try. They hardly ever smile and they are usually sick all the time. Then there are those people that are happy. I'm sure you know someone like this. The are just happy for no reason. They are the ones people gravitate towards.  They are the ones who make you feel good about yourself. They are just fun to be around. I think that with true Happiness you can find peace. With Happiness you can find gratitude. Even Happiness can help you have success. I think that is my word.




"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau

So what is your word. If you don't know it is worth finding out.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, I really enjoyed reading this. I think I will find out what my word is when I write in my journal today.

    ReplyDelete